Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Profile of Job #2: Banquet Server

Job Title: On-Call Banquet Server at the Marriott
Job salary: $10/hour

Job description: We set up tables, clear tables, refill drinks, keep banquet materials well stocked, and serve plated dinners if needed.

10 Things I didn't know before today:
#1 - It is possible to carry 6 full glasses by yourself....just not possible for me. I've gotten up to 3!!! (hey, don't be mean, that is a ton for my first day)
#2 - Serving trays weight 3 lb each with nothing on them.
#3 - Standing on your feet for 8 hours hurts...quite a bit.
#4 - The dessert fork is the one they place above your plate.
#5 - You serve from the left, and clear and fill drinks from the right.
#6 - You have to have a liquor license to be a banquet server (getting a liquor license is on my 'to do' list for this week).
#7 - More guests use Equal sweetener than regular sugar or Sweet and Low.
#8 - That wearing slip-resistant shoes is required for a reason - it is very slippery 'back stage'.
#9 - That banquet servers get to sometimes eat the extra food not served at meals!!! (Free lunch = happiness)
#10 - That I really need to load up on the calories in the morning, because lunch break doesn't happen until 1 or 2pm.

Today, I worked 9-6pm for training, and everyone was so nice and helpful! I served at a buffet-style lunch and an hors d'oeuvre reception in the restaurant. :D

If you like reading my blog, show me by "following" it -------------> Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I like #9. Some banquets have some really good entrees and desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the food is awesome! Had cake twice yesterday :) I keep bringing my lunch with me just in case, but every day I've been able to have leftover entrees for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    I like this post:

    You create good material for community.

    Please keep posting.

    Let me introduce other material that may be good for net community.

    Source: Banquet waiter job description

    Best rgs
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following my adventure!

-Kaelin