Sunday, September 15, 2013

Reading in Hebrews...

This morning during my quiet time, I have been reading in Hebrews. You know how Chapter 11 is so many times referred to as the Hall of Faith chapter? Well, I was reading it this morning and realized that we as Christians are included in this Hall of Faith as well. Here it is in verse 3:

"By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God's command, that what we see did not come from anything that can be seen."

Now, this verse smacked me in the face because it is about a very important topic for all of us, especially those of us in the science world. The Origin of Life has been debated for so long, and this debate has even seeped into the Christian way of thinking. I have met several Christians who said that they believed God could do anything, that they had complete faith in HIM, that HE did raise Jesus from the dead, that HE promises us eternal life in heaven...and yet, if you asked them about how the world was created, they were still undecided. The scientific facts and theories were still clouding their minds as they tried to believe GOD and prove the origin of life by evolution at the same time. They don't have the faith that is specified in this verse. Now, for me, if GOD decided that faith in HIS creation of the world was so important that HE would inspire Paul to credit us with that faith in the letter to the Hebrews, then I think we should take note. Believing GOD can do anything really means believing GOD can do anything. Even create the entire universe in 6 days from nothing.

Reading my Bible in English this morning, with my new Turkish New Testament by my side. So glad to have found a Chritian congregation in Istanbul who welcomed me in with open arms. Will be practicing my Turkish with a new fervor as I hope to be able to participate more in these Turkish services in the future weeks. 

Then, as I read on in Chapter 11, I found a reference to us being nomads in verses 13-16! So, I just had to share it.

After discussing people who lived by faith... "All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth. Obviously people who say such things are looking forward to a country they can call their own. If they had longed for the country they came from, they could have gone back. But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."

So, we are all faithful nomads together, eagerly awaiting the perfect heavenly homeland that God has created for us!

Well, that's your daily dose of The Faithful Nomad. If you didn't read the post from Saturday, or if you read it and now want to join the challenge to save a person's life, click here. It is never too late to use the blessings God has given you to bless someone else's life. 

Also, if you have an Instagram account, go follow @faithful_nomad and @k_rover_explores_the_world. I have been posting a ton of photos on Instagram as I go about my daily activities in Istanbul, and they will help you get an even better idea of what life is like here. 


Have a great day, or as they say in Turkey, iyi günler!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad God is showing these things to you and you're sharing it with us all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following my adventure!

-Kaelin