Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Gunaydın!

Gunaydın (Good morning) for those just waking up in America. I am drinking çay (hot black tea) in my friend  Yeliz's office right now at Doğus University on the Asya (Asia) side of İstanbul. Got to sleep in this morning to recover from my 10 hour bus ride back from Antalya the other night. Yeliz (who I met at GA Tech last year when she was a post-doc researcher) has been so hospitable and shown me around İstanbul and let me spend several nights in her home. So many great friends...a real blessing from God!

Different herbal and spice teas for sale at the bazaar in Antalya. Yummy!


Yesterday, for the first time, I rode the bus and Metrobus by myself!!! And, even better, I didn't get lost!!! İf you have ever seen pictures or visited İstanbul, you will understand why this was so exciting for me. For one, everything is in Turkish and the bus drivers don't speak English. For two, İstanbul is a jam-packed city and very crowded and busy.Yeliz gave me very good instructions for how to make my way to the Asya side (which I had done with her twice before...my apartment is on the European side) and I was able to make my way fırst by a normal bus and then on the Metrobus. The Metrobus is special because the buses are much longer and they have their own lane down the middle of the highway and they run across the bridges to both sides of İstanbul. I think this Metrobus system is nice because it has the benefits of a rail system, but much less infrastructure for the city to build. Well, I made it, even after having a very confusing Turkish/sign language discussion with the busdriver, after which I thought he had gotten me lost but it ended up that he was very right and got me to the right stop :) I was able to see that right up the street from my apartment is a very fashionable street with lots of shops, ATMs, and even a Starbuck's (which I have been told is more expensive than in the US, but I may still treat myself sometime this week on one of my excursions...I haven't had coffee in a week...my US friends will know this is very unusual for me haha). I am feeling much more comfortable with where I live and getting about in İstanbul. Did you know that İstanbul is the size of a small country when compared with somewhere like Switzerland or Luxembourg??!! There are 15 million people living here! The population of Atlanta is around a half million!

My first American coffee after having been in Istanbul for 1 week. It was about $1 more expensive than in the US (4.50 tl ~ $2.25) , but it was very worth it. But, çay is so good that I have not missed coffee as much as I thought I would.

Earlier yesterday, I ventured out from my apartment in search of food (which is obviously one of the first things you must do when you move to a new apartment). I first went right across the street, where there is a small store. The selection was very small, though, and I only got bottled water and Nutella (an essential no matter where you live, and thank God a favorite of the Turkish as well). Then, I went walking, being very careful not to get hit because the drivers are crazy. I happened upon a small market right down the street, and they have everything I could need with a good produce section as well. Very blessed! A loaf of ekmek (Turkish bread. similar to a fat French baguette) was only 1 TL (approx. 50 cents). Now I know I will not starve :)

As I have been working on my Turkish, I have noticed some interesting things in İstanbul. Turkish is very nice in that it reads just as it is written...I believe this is a result of the written Turkish language in Latin letters being very young (it used to be written in Arabic letters, but Attaturk, the founder of the Republic, was an advocate of using our kind of letters). Well. several words look as though they are Turkish but in reality they are English but spelled in Turkish. For example, a Mango advertisement for a jacket said 'ceket'. The letter c is pronounced as a j in Turkish, so when you say it, it is pronounced just like in English. 'Taksi' is the sign on top of a taxi, etc. So, I make sure I read signs by sounding out the words in Turkish and I have an easier time with many of them. Knowing the different sounds is coming in handy (ç is a ch sound, ş is a sh sound, c sounds like j, etc).

Comment below with any questions you have about İstanbul or just to say 'merhaba' :) ALSO, I am continuing to build my bucket list for Turkey, so if you have any suggestions, please comment. I have already added camelwrestling, and hopefully I can find someone to take me this winter (youtube it!). Iyi gunler (have a good day) and make sure you put your email address in the box on the right to follow me!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Very informative post. I want you to see the Aya Sofia and Blue Mosque and take some great photos and tell us what it is like.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following my adventure!

-Kaelin