Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day 1: Mission successful

I am writing this blog post from the back porch of my 'home away from home.' For the summer, I am living in a magnificent 3-story town home right on Capitol Hill. I can hear the shimmering of my neighbor's backyard fountain, the birds are singing, and every half-hour some distant bell chimes to keep the neighborhood on time.



Yesterday, I said some of the toughest goodbyes of my life to my family at the Atlanta airport. They were so great and made it as easy as possible for me to walk to my plane to begin this adventure. The flight was the smoothest I have ever had, and after 1.5 hours I was landing in DC at Reagan National Airport. I caught my first taxi by myself (*pat on the back*) and he dropped me off at my new home. If you are my friend on Facebook, you can view a photo of my home in my Life in DC album. More to come later!

Well, I was thinking that I would be moving in last after all my roommates, but boy was I wrong. I'm the first one to move in, and my first roommate moves in today. This house holds 11 people! We are going to be like 2 peas in, well, definitely not a pod. More like a bowl! The house is huge and beautiful, and I've had fun exploring all its nooks. If only I could figure out how to work the A/C! But, that's a problem for another day.

Yesterday, I made my first big discoveries!

#1 - NEVER follow your own advice about buying groceries. LISTEN TO YOUR DAD! 
I had figured out that there was a little supermarket 0.2 miles from my house. So, I decided to go there to pick up a few essentials (AKA peanut butter and jelly). My dad told me over the phone that he had found a Giant (name of grocery store, like a Kroger) about half a mile from my house, but I decided to follow my own plan. $50 later and with 2 shopping bags, I learned yet again that you should always listen to your dad. I will never be shopping at the neighborhood supermarket again, unless it is a life or death situation. I don't think my bank account would be able to handle it.

#2 - I found a Subway restaurant!
The only good that came out of my supermarket mishap was that I found a Subway. I think this will be one of the cheapest ways for me to eat - 1 foot-long is a dinner and lunch for me. I made sure to write down how to get there from my house for future reference.

#3 - Starbucks is a welcome sight.
While wandering around Capitol Hill, I found a Starbucks about 2 blocks from my house. I was so excited! By the way, their new Mocha Cookie Crumble Frap is amazing :) I was able to take a break and get a chance to look over my map while in the comfort of a familiar coffee shop.

Well, on to Day 2. I get a whole day to wander and discover my new neighborhood. If you are visiting DC this summer, make sure and let me know so we can chill and hang out some time :) And keep checking my blog for my daily updates. See ya!




     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for following my adventure!

-Kaelin