Thursday, July 11, 2013

Favorite Coffee Places in DC

Well, I can't believe that I only have a little over 2 weeks left at my internship in DC! It has been so much fun, and I love living in DC, but at the same time I'm ready to be home with my family. Miss them a ton!

One of my favorite ways to chill out after work is to walk to one of the local coffee shops. I absolutely love the ones with crazy hours (see Number 1), because I'm usually wanting to go either really early in the morning or really late at night. For those of you in the Capitol Hill area, here are my top 3 non-chain coffee shop favorites. If you have gone to ones other than those listed, please comment below with a review! I love finding new places to chill out, relax, and drink a cup of joe.



Number 1: The Afterwords Cafe (At Kramerbooks)
Location: 1517 Connecticut Avenue, Washington, DC 20036 (Right by Dupont Circle Metro)
Hours: 7:30am - 1am daily, 24 hours on Fridays and Saturdays
Websitehttp://www.kramers.com/index.html
What to drink: I went to Afterwords really late at night with one of my roommates, and I ordered the B52-Bomber. This was a hot coffee drink with Kahlua, Irish Cream, and Grand Marnier. It was super delicious!
Why this place is freakin' awesome: Afterwords is connected to Kramerbooks, which is a pretty cool bookstore, although a bit pricey. It is really fun to go there late at night, shop around the bookstore, and then grab a drink. I am not a party-er, so this was a fun place to go late at night on the weekend and hear live music, as well as get to read books and get a drink. Reminds me of Cafe Intermezzo, for all my Atlanta people! Except it has a bookstore...Cafe Intermezzo should definitely have a bookstore...




Number 2: Ebenezer's Coffeeshop
Location: 201 F Street NE, Washington, DC 20002 (Very close to Union Station Metro)
Hours: Monday-Thursday, 7a-9p...Friday, 7a-10p...Saturday, 8a-9p...Sunday, 8a-8p
Websitehttp://ebenezerscoffeehouse.com/
What to get: So far, I've only gotten their Hill Blend coffee, which is pretty good in my books.
Why this place is super cool: I really like that Ebenezer's has a bunch of comfy places to sit, and it has a really nice environment. Great place to pop out the laptop and chill after a day at work. Also, Ebenezer's is run by a church and profits their ministry, as well as works as an outreach program for the Hill, so that's pretty snazzy. They also have free live music a bunch of nights a week, as well as free dance classes on Wednesday nights, so check out their event schedule or stop by to see what's going on.



Number 3: The Silver Spork
Location: 303 7th Street SE, Washington, DC 20003 (At Eastern Market)
Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7a-9p...Sunday, 8a-7p.
Website: http://silversporkdc.com/
What to get: I have gotten their iced mochas, and tried their almond croissant and chocolate croissant. All were very yummy, and they make drinks super fast.
Why I <3 this place: Going to the Silver Spork is a little bit of a trek for me, but it is totally worth it. They have very cute outdoor seating, if you can grab it before someone else, and they are way more than a coffee shop. They have fresh bread, cheeses, a small olive bar, wine and beer...They have a frequent-shopper punch card for if you stop by and get coffee and bread often. Will definitely be going to get a loaf of fresh bread soon! Really nice place to spend your Saturday morning.



PLEASE let me know if you have other favorite independent coffee shops in the Washington DC area, or even in Atlanta (I love trying out different places). Put a full review in the comments section for all to enjoy :) Drink coffee, relax, and enjoy each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for following my adventure!

-Kaelin