Saturday, November 2, 2013

Starting New Things

I'm in the middle of finishing a lab report that is taking me SOOO long to finish, but I think I will take a few moments to give you an update on the new things I have started doing in Turkey. Two weeks ago, I was blessed to find out from a friend about a Beth Moore Bible study going on in her home. I went to the study, and I seriously almost started tearing up whenever they prayed in English...I hadn't prayed with someone else in my language in over 6 weeks (my church is in Turkish). It's an understatement to say that this Bible study has been an amazing gift from God. The study, A Women's Heart, is about the tabernacle and how God wants to meet with us. By reading how He sought out a relationship with the Israelites, how He brought them out of Egypt after 400 years of slavery, how He used Moses's life, I have had so many things hit home with my own personal life. I am amazed that the Creator of the Universe wants to meet with each of us, His creation, that He wants to speak with us, that He wants to show us His glory. It is awesome! Through the women leading the Bible study, I have also made more friends with Christians in my area, and it is really great to get to know them and hang out.

I also found out from another friend that there are beginner Turkish folk dance classes at our school that meet for 6 hours of practice a week. It is so much fun! We are all pinky friends now (most dances involve standing in lines or circles with your pinkies linked with the people on either side of you). I have made even more friends, and Turkish folk dances are really cool. My favorite part of practice is at the end when the whole group (30-40 students + 3 teachers) dances a fast routine together and we are all bouncing, pinkies linked, shoes clicking on the wooden floor and smiles all around. Dancing is so good for my soul :) The classes are mostly in Turkish, so I am getting really good at counting and knowing my lefts and rights in Turkish, as well as picking up some other words and phrases from the other Turkish students.

Well, got to get back to that lab report. I've got Imagine Dragons playing, and I am going to try and finish this report before the album repeats itself. Have a great weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Your memories and friendships from your time in Turkey will last you a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following my adventure!

-Kaelin