Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Race Between 2 Continents

Today I did something so cool that I never even thought of putting it on my bucket list! Pelin and I woke up at 6:15am today in Asia (the Asian side of Istanbul that is). We hopped on a bus, then a dolmuş (in which I spent the first bit kneeling in the floor because it was so packed) and finally made it to the starting line of the 10k race in the Istanbul Marathon. This is no ordinary race; it is the only race in the world that crosses between 2 continents! What an experience! We started in Asia, ran across the Bosphorus Bridge (this is the only chance people have of crossing the bridge by foot for the entire year) and ran to Europe. So glad I was able to have this great, unique experience with such a great friend. I actually felt like a real Istanbullu today as I heard my name called out many times as I ran alongside the friends I have made over the past few months. It is really awesome to be able to spend enough time in a city that you start feeling like you belong. People are always asking me if I love Istanbul. I do really like the city, but what makes me love Istanbul is the people that I have met and built friendships with here. I am so thankful that God has led me to meet so many great people! Here are a few pics from the race. More on Instagram - @faithful_nomad    :)


Getting ready to cross the bridge!


İ am not sure which İ appreciated getting more, the banana or the medal...I mean, bananas are just so good!

We did it! Mission accomplished!
Comment below if you have suggestions for what races I should sign up for in the States come spring! Am looking forward to prioritizing running from now on and getting in on this fun racing action more often. 2014 goals will include setting some PRs :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you Kaelin. You are recognizing these experiences for what they are truly worth... memories with wonderful friends. Keep running the race, my lovely daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following my adventure!

-Kaelin