Monday, June 17, 2013

"I told you they'd cry!"

That's Bridget for you. As soon as I told my first roommate that I was taking a weekend trip home to surprise my family, she turned prophet. And she's a pretty good prophet too. Dad was the one to answer the door at 9:30pm on Friday when I rang the bell. When my mom came to the crazy realization that it was indeed her daughter's voice she heard in the foyer, we practically created our own indoor fountain. But, I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself. Here's how it goes:

A few weeks ago, I was feeling particularly homesick, and I started kicking around the idea of going home for a weekend to surprise my family. So, I added the flight to my Skyscanner alerts and hoped for the best. After a few weeks of being really indecisive, I did it and bought a plane ticket home and a MegaBus ticket for the way back. I'm very blessed to have amazing neighbors that are like a second family to me, so I was able to call them up and schedule to get picked up from the airport after my flight into Atlanta. This past Friday, I practically skipped to the Metro. As I was walking into the airport, my phone went off. Dad. I felt so incredibly rude and un-daughterly, but I ignored the call and texted him that I was busy. The "Delta flight 9 is loading..." echoing through the corridor would have definitely given away my sneaky plan. I made it onto the plan, and 1.5 hours later I could see the Atlanta skyline. Home, sweet home! My neighbors picked me up, we had a good hour of gabbing and catching up on all the news, and then I was home. Ok, now you're caught up :)

Needless to say, I am very glad I went home for the weekend. My sister had turned 15 the previous week, so I was able to be there for her party and sing "happy birthday" to her. And, I was able to celebrate Father's Day with the best dad ever.

Mission accomplished! 6 more weeks of living in DC, so stay tuned for some more funny posts :)

Bridget and I on one of our evening strolls to the Capitol.
Coming soon..."You know you live in DC if..." and "The Starbucks Saga".

3 comments:

  1. I'll try to write something funny and not so sentimental next time, Dad :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not refrain from commenting. Very well written!



    My web-site: Medical Records UK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following my adventure!

-Kaelin