Thursday, October 8, 2015

Oh, what 1 year can hold...



Today marks one year since I flew to Istanbul on a one-way ticket, knowing that I was going to learn Turkish and not knowing much past that. The first time I was here, I stayed for 4 months as an exchange student. This past time, it was with more long-term in mind. It has been an amazing year, with lots of blessings and unexpected surprises. Here's the run down of what this year has had lots of


>>>----------> Lots of visits with friends.

I started off the year celebrating my best friend's wedding both in a small village and then in the big city. I literally danced my feet off at both of these big events (in my mind, looking just like a Turk, but I know they were all just being kind). Months later, during the summer, I was invited to celebrate one of the holidays with a great Turkish friend and her family in Konya. And then, a trip to see my sweet friend Emily (of Emiloid on YouTube) became my first mini-roadtrip with my sister. We loved spending time with Emily and discovering her new city! Here's to hoping and praying that the coming year involves even more visits to see and spend time with my besties :)

>>>----------> Lots of learning.

My road to being bilingual has many more footsteps on it than a year ago. It has involved hours and hours of classes, watching foreign films, and getting up the courage to talk to strangers in a strange language. It's funny to even see that you have a different sense of humor when you speak in a second language. Learning another language definitely gives you a new insight into the culture and life of another people group, and even into yourself.


>>>----------> Lots of coffee. 

If you haven't figured it out, coffee is my comfort food. And maybe my love language. I love sitting down with a warm mug, whether it is with a friend or my journal or a great new read. My parents brought me my very own filter coffee machine (yes, that is a special thing here), and I love cuddling up with a warm mug on the weekends. To be quite honest, I had 3 pumpkin spice lattes...in the first 4 days of October. Yep. #pslatte #whyamihashtaggingmyblog #becauseitsthepslatte


>>>----------> Lots of friends from every nation.

I am blessed to call people my friends who have intersected my life here in Turkey but who began their journeys in many different places. Some came here to seek a new experience. Others were forced to flee their war-torn homes to seek freedom and opportunity. I'm so thankful for our friendships and also for how they help me understand reality better.

>>>----------> Lots of tears.

It would be wrong to act as though life is a walk in the park. It's not. Being on the other side of the world from my family is especially rough. To be honest, every time I say goodbye to them, I go through weeks of withdrawal: depressed spirit, lack of motivation, even loss of appetite. I would have a hard time going on if it wasn't for...


>>>----------> Lots of knowledge that I'm where God wants me to                          be.

Life may be far from perfect, but that is expected - it's not heaven yet. But this life with God is certainly good. And HE promises so much to those who chase after Him. It is worth it. It is all worth it. HE proves it to me day after day.

"God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 

God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth.

God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied.

God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God.

God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called children of God.

God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. 

Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way.

You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.

You are the light of the world - like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.

No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.

In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."

Matthew 5:3-16 
(New Living Translation)

Thank YOU, GOD, for a great year. Here's to many more.

~ Faithful Nomad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for following my adventure!

-Kaelin